Excess skin, sometimes called ‘turkey neck’ around the neck region, is a very common problem as we age. Developing excess skin around this area can appear to add years to anyone’s age. A neck lift can be performed alone or in conjunction with a facelift. For neck lift surgery, an incision is made under the chin and sometimes to the side of the neck before removing excess skin and soft tissue or fat, before re-stitching the skin, resulting in a tighter, more defined neck.
Why Do People Get Neck Lift Surgery?
Neck lifts can be used to address loose and saggy skin. As you age, the skin under your chin may become loose and saggy; neck lifts are designed to address this and target that skin.
The benefits associated with neck lift surgery may include:
- Reduces excess skin and tightens muscles
- Rejuvenated, youthful appearance
- Very minimal scarring and/or downtime
- Smoothens skin
- Accomplishes what dieting and exercise cannot
- Improved confidence and self-esteem
The Neck Lift Surgery Procedure
Excess soft tissue and skin are ultimately removed through the procedure and its successful completion, resulting in the potential tightening of your neck skin and tissue. Neck lift surgery usually takes between 1 – 3 hours and is performed under general anaesthetic. Your surgeon will remove any excess skin or fat under your chin, giving it a smoother, more defined look. Bands of skin and lines can be eliminated by accessing and tightening the neck muscles through small incisions. Your surgeon may use liposuction as well.
What Are The Risks of Neck Lift Surgery?
The potential risks of neck lift surgery should always be discussed in length with the surgeon carrying out the procedure. typically considered risks may include:
- Bleeding and bruising
- Swelling of the neck
- Change in sensation and risk of permanent nerve damage for sensation or ability to move that area of the face
- Failure of procedure and wrinkles and lines remain
- Excess of skin and soft tissue may be removed, leaving an over-tightening or unnatural finish
How Much Does Neck Lift Surgery Cost?
- UK private cost: although it varies from clinic to clinic, the average price for neck lift surgery from a reputable clinic is around £10,000.
- NHS: this treatment is not usually available on the NHS. However, it may occasionally be provided on the NHS for psychological or other health reasons.