As well as surgical cosmetic procedures, several non-surgical cosmetic procedures can be carried out without the need for general anaesthetic and potentially lengthy hospital stays.
Platelet Rich Plasma Treatment – Vampire Facial
A ‘vampire facial’ or platelet-rich plasma treatment improves skin texture and tone. This facial treatment can help stimulate collagen production and regeneration, which helps reduce wrinkles fine lines. In addition, it enhances moisture retention and reduces scarring visibility which gives tighter and firmer skin. Treatment is painless and quick and has lasting results.
Areas targeted by platelet-rich plasma treatment:
- Commonly face (Vampire facial) – lines, wrinkles, crow’s feet, acne scars, dark under eyes
- Hair growth on the scalp
- Joint problems
- Sites of injuries
How Does a Vampire Facial Work?
Blood is taken from the arm and spun down in a centrifuge via apheresis, separating the blood into its parts. For this procedure, serum and platelets are needed. Micro-needling injects the platelet-rich suspension into the skin; this entails repeatedly puncturing the skin with tiny needles. The suspension will also contain stem cells, a critical factor in repair and collagen production. The plasma promotes collagen regeneration and skin tightening, which induces long-lasting results, with many finding that skin elasticity is noticeably improved.
Profhilo rejuvenates and hydrates the skin while reforming skin and tissue that has been affected by ageing. This treatment is commonly used on the face and neck but can also be used on hands or stomach areas. This injectable treatment can restore elasticity to the skin as it has one of the highest concentrations of hyaluronic acid (HA) on the market.
How Does Profhilo Work?
Hyaluronic acid (HA) is injected into the skin at the desired treatment area. Uniquely, Profhilo utilises the natural collagen-stimulating properties of HA and works it into the treatment, attracting water to the deeper layers of skin, promoting collagen resulting in a naturally smooth texture. This acid occurs naturally, therefore, is stable. This allows the treatment to be effective for longer and have lasting results.
Laser Therapy Carbon Dioxide Resurfacing
Laser skin resurfacing procedure involves using specific lasers to improve skin texture and appearance carried out by a dermatologist. Ablative lasers involve using carbon dioxide to treat skin conditions and remove the skin’s outer layers. This is effective in treating scars, warts and deep wrinkles.
Stages of Laser Therapy Carbon Dioxide Resurfacing Treatment
- Topical anaesthetic is applied
- Skin is cleared of excess oil, dirt or bacteria
- The laser is moved slowly over the designated area of skin
- The carbon dioxide laser penetrates the top layers of skin causing small amounts of thermal damage
- This stimulates collagen production and replaces damaged skin with fresh and new cells
Laser liposuction treatment is an alternative to liposuction, it is a non-invasive with potentially fewer risks but just as effective way to tighten skin and reduce fat.
Stages of the Procedure:
- The laser penetrates the skin, leaving the skin cells undamaged
- The fat cells are heated by the laser causing irreparable damage
- The body naturally then clears these away via drainage from the lymphatic system
Coolsculpting is a non-invasive, non-surgical fat reduction procedure. The non-invasive nature of this technique has benefits over surgical fat removal procedures. It can reduce the appearance of cellulite on the legs and buttocks. Fat freezes at a higher temperature than skin, meaning treatment effectively targets fat cells while leaving undamaged skin.
Principles of the Coolsculpting Procedure:
- The target area is held between two freezing panels
- The cold targets fat cells, freezing them, which in turn destroys them
- The body’s natural system clears out the dead cells
- Results may not be noticed until a few months after the procedure
For cosmetic dental treatments, please see our dental section by clicking here